Search our current career opportunities!
745,000 adult and pediatric patients in Eastern Massachusetts
715 physicians and primary care providers with 400 other clinicians representing more than 35 specialties across 30 clinical practice locations
Dedham Medical Associates, Granite Medical Group, Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates, PMG Physician Associates
Home health, palliative care and hospice
Consistently in the 90th percentile
Preferred Hospital, VNA and Extended Care Facilities
While we strive to avoid hospitalizations/re-hospitalizations through our care models and the leveraging of VNA Care services, when hospitalization is needed, we use a network of preferred hospitals.
Atrius Health works closely and collaboratively with hospitals with whom we have established shared intraoperative capabilities to communicate via electronic health records.
These hospitals include some of the finest academic medical centers in the country, such as Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Boston Children’s Hospital. In addition, we work with high-quality community hospitals to provide excellent, close-to home care for our patients.
Learn more about our preferred hospitals.
Preferred Extended Care Facilities
For patients requiring post-acute skilled nursing and rehabilitation, we have established a network of preferred high-quality, lower-cost skilled nursing facilities.
Learn more about our network of extended care facilities.
A subsidiary of Atrius Health, VNA Care is New England’s largest home health, hospice, and palliative care provider:
- Providing care in more than 200 communities
- Non-profit, mission-driven organization with 130 years of experience in community health
- Delivering a full range of home health, hospice, palliative and wellness services
Learn more about VNA Care services.
Primary Care at Atrius Health
At Atrius Health, we are a national leader in value-based care where providers are rewarded for helping patients improve their health, reduce the effects and incidence of chronic disease and live healthier lives. Nowhere is this more evident than in our primary care departments. We have strong leadership throughout and a culture that values preventative medicine as the best form of treatment.
In our system of care, we employ over 320 primary care physicians in adult medicine and pediatrics across 30 locations in Boston and surrounding communities in Eastern Massachusetts.
In addition, our adult primary care physicians are joined by advanced practice clinician (APC) colleagues (NPs and PAs). Some APCs carry a panel and serve as primary care providers.
Adult and Family Medicine
We have been a leader in team-based care for decades. Our team model support includes medical assistants, APCs, nurses, clinical pharmacists, population health managers and case managers.
We also invest in primary care practice supports that extend beyond the walls of the office and include e-consults, telehealth appointments and an after-hours triage telecommunications service that serves as first call. We embed technology and innovation in care delivery to improve the workday of the primary care provider. This is evidenced through our efforts in predictive analytics embedded in our workflows and throughout our EMR (Epic). We have designed and implemented a revolutionary program that offers hospital level care in the home (up to a 30-day admission).
Atrius Health Pediatrics is an inclusive Medical Home working collaboratively to support our patients and families along their developmental journey. We offer high-quality, evidence based care that is easily available, family-centered, compassionate and culturally sensitive.
Our pediatric clinicians and support staff enjoy strong team relationships. Our teams include medical assistants, APCs, nurses, and embedded complex care facilitators, essential resources to help support the care of our high-risk, high-need patients.
In addition to offering pediatric primary care, we offer a number of pediatric subspecialties throughout the practice, including:
- Adolescent Medicine
- Behavioral Health
- Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics
- ENT & Audiology
- ID & Travel Medicine
- Sports Medicine
- Speech Therapy
We enjoy a rich and rewarding relationship with Boston Children’s Hospital, our preferred tertiary hospital. The three key domains of our collaboration with Boston Children’s Hospital are:
- Clinical Integration
- Technical Integration
Adult and Pediatric Urgent Care
At Atrius Health we describe urgent care medicine as having components of both primary care and emergency medicine. This is clearly evident at our practices where we have dedicated staff who have broad, comprehensive knowledge on a wide array of medical issues.
Adult and Pediatric Urgent Care offers a full spectrum of care. For example, we:
- Staff our weekend urgent care practices so our primary care physicians do not need to work weekends.
- Provide infusions for antibiotics, steroids, iron and select other medications.
- Perform saline infusion studies for endocrinology and water deprivations studies for endocrinology and nephrology.
- Work with each specialty to provide unique specialty-specific care.
- Create seamless transitions with our preferred hospitals with emergency department transfers or direct admissions to the hospitalist service.
- Identify and stabilize adult patients who need hospital-level care but can be sent home for admission into the Medically Home program.
- Back up our radiology departments when unexpected findings occur, particularly on evenings and weekends.
We have a regional approach to our dedicated weekday/weekend Urgent Care services and have five locations in eastern Massachusetts: Kenmore, Braintree, Norwood, Wellesley, and Somerville.
After Hours Telecom Services
Atrius Health has robust after hours telephone coverage service. Adult and Pediatric telecom clinicians triage all calls from patients/caregivers and will make recommendations for care. The majority of the staff are advanced practice clinicians (NP & PA). When appropriate, the telecom clinicians consult with the on-call physician or APC/PCP about a recommendation for treatment. Our telecom clinicians cover for all specialties, including internal medicine, pediatrics, OB, ophthalmology, surgery and behavioral health.
In addition to covering all specialties, our telecom clinicians will field calls from extended care facilities and VNA staff, as well as provide appropriate follow-up to all critical test results that are reported by the lab or imaging departments after 5 pm on weekdays and throughout the weekend.
When a patient calls, a clinician will assess the problem and will either provide treatment advice, or make one of the following recommendations:
- Travel to the nearest emergency room for an evaluation
- Schedule an office visit the following day or provide telephone advice
- Schedule an office visit at one of our weekend urgent care centers
Having compassionate, reliable and well-trained clinicians in our telecom department ensures our patients receive the right care at the right location which is at the heart of our mission.
Medical & Surgical Specialties
We provide exceptional care with well-trained specialists in association with world class hospitals. In addition to on-site office visits, since 2016 we have been leveraging technology to provide e-consults and televisits to provide wider access in a number of our specialty departments. Our in-house specialties and services include:
- Breast Surgery
- Cosmetic Services & Plastic Surgery
- Infectious Disease
- Occupational Hand Therapy
- Orthopedics & Sports Medicine
- Physiatry, Spine & Pain Management
- Physical Therapy
- Sleep Medicine
- Surgery, General
- Travel Medicine
- Weight Management
Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Our Ob/Gyn physicians, midwives, nurse practitioners and physician assistants offer professional and compassionate women’s health care for all facets of a woman’s life.
- Generalists provide comprehensive obstetrics and gynecology services in the office and in the hospital and well-woman care for women of all ages.
- Subspecialists include: Fertility and Reproductive Health/Donor In-semination Services, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Urogynecology, Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery and Vulvovaginal Services.
- Patients may see an Ob/Gyn clinician at their choice of location. This provides flexibility to meet patient needs regarding hospital affiliation and other preferences.
- Hospital affiliations include: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Mount Auburn Hospital, Newton-Wellesley Hospital, and Winchester Hospital.
Transitions in Care
Atrius Health brings together acute, post-acute and community care services into one continuous delivery system so that we can strategically address care coordination in an effort to reduce hospital readmissions. We strive to provide the right care, at the right time, in the right place, for every person we serve via proactive, effective care coordination throughout the continuum of life. Services include:
- Ambulatory Geriatrics
- Case Management & Social Work
- Ambulatory Palliative Care for patients with serious illness at any disease stage
- Home Services/Programs
- Home Pharmacy
- Home Lab Draws
- Infusions via New England Life Care
- Home Clinician Visits
- ED at Home (Community Paramedicine)
- Preferred Skilled Nursing Facility Program
- Medically Home – an in-home alternative to inpatient hospitalization for clinically eligible patients.
- Atrius Health Hospitalist program at Mount Auburn Hospital.
- The behavioral health services team provides comprehensive mental health care to patients with Atrius Health primary care providers.
- Our caring team of psychiatrists, psychologists, physicians, nurses, and social workers offer quality care with individualized attention for each patient. We specialize in treating individuals throughout their lifespan, with compassion and respect for each patient’s health and well-being.
- Behavioral health services also include specialized care for patients struggling with addiction and substance use disorders.
- For nearly forty years, Atrius Health has provided robust postgraduate training programs for postdoctoral psychologists and postgraduate social workers. Fellows engage in training and clinical practice designed to facilitate expertise in empirically supported psychotherapy and behavioral medicine modalities.
- Our onsite imaging and radiology services include: x-ray, bone density testing, CT scans, digital mammography, MRI scans, nuclear medicine and ultrasound.
- We have a 7 day/week radiology hotline to answer questions about reports and test ordering choices.
- Our radiology department sources and obtains all prior outside imaging studies.
- Incidental imaging findings (lung nodules, complex renal cysts, pancreatic cysts) are tracked and managed centrally to reduce provider burden and enhance safety.
- A lung cancer CT screening program is managed centrally to improve compliance and remove administrative work from PCPs.
- A mammography program is managed centrally to reduce ordering burden on PCPs. Radiologists call patients promptly with biopsy results.
Pathology & Laboratory Services
- Our staff pathologists provide anatomic and clinical pathology, cytology, and dermatopathology services in a collegial, responsive environment where clinicians’ questions and concerns are addressed quickly and collaboratively.
- The majority of our surgical pathology specimens are signed out within two days.
- Atrius Health performs over 50,000 surgical (47,000 Paps and 3,000 Non-Gyns), 65,00 cytologic and 3 million clinical lab tests per year at our state-of-the-art core laboratory facility located in Needham, just west of Boston.
- 96% of our lab work is done in-house.
- Our pathologists also direct 17 rapid response laboratories across our practices.
Atrius Health has 15 on site pharmacies to support our patients’ medication needs, including specialty pharmacy and oncology pharmacy. The pharmacy department supplies floor stock medications, vaccines, and other services to our medical departments and clinicians. We also mail prescriptions free of charge.
- Respond in real-time to drug information consults
- Provide clinician educational presentations
- Manage the drug therapy for patients with several diseases (e.g., diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia) by referral
- Build and maintain clinical guidelines and formulary guidance through the Atrius Health’s Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee